Monday, June 9, 2008

Daughter of a Super Mom

Traveling by auto to and fro my office is giving me a lot of time to think on subjects other than my work and what food to be made at home. Thanks to the Traffic jams at all the junctions and all the flyovers in this city. It gives me around 2 hours on every day to catch up with the new models of car, to play number games, think about my golden child hood days, etc;


Recently I realized that in all my childhood memories I am thinking of the food my mom had prepared. May be it is because of my fate of eating food prepared by myself, recent visit of my brother at home or my husband’s frequent cribbing on the food quality or my mom-in-law’s instructions over phone on how to prepare good food for your husband. But, frankly speaking I don’t like the food that I prepare at times. I am thinking that my food preparing skills are diminishing over a long term listening of other’s cribbing!!!

Sometimes I think that I am a woman of 21st century. I work for 12 hours at office. Prepare tea in the morning and dinner. Prepare all three meals on week ends. Also, very rarely prepares food for family friends. But, I fail on everyday in front of my mother’s capability of managing a home, who was a woman of 20th century.

My mom got into her job immediately after her graduation very similar to my campus placement at the age of 21. Went to the state capital and stayed away from the family to kick start her career. This was very similar to me going out of the state and started staying in a flat with roomies. But, her story took place in 1970s and mine after 2005. She never had a boy friend in her college, any big shopping malls to spend the week end, no big restaurants to hang out with friends like me. She used to read books, write small stories and do small house hold chores to spend time.

She got married, an arranged one and in 3 years became mother of 2. She used to work for 8 hours a day, managed two kids, balanced the joint family and her husband. But, used to prepare very tasty food for the whole family. She never used to complain that her body is paining or head is aching. Her food was never a subject of discussion in the family, because all used to take her granted in that matter.

On the other hand, I discuss with my family members, colleagues about balancing work and life, about having no time in preparing food. I also make it a big thing about cooking dinner after reaching home late.

My mom used to manage her work pressure, which was very high when I reached my teen age. She used to handle the political pressure as well as job pressure very well. She soon got a name as the best officer and even started resolving issues in my neighbor hood along with my father. She always used to keep us away from my father’s very active social life, his resignation from the communist party, etc;
In the mean time cared us, helped us in studies, arranged small parties for us and our friends, etc;

But, me having all facilities at home, managing a family of just two people can’t even spend some time in learning and cooking good food for my family?
I get confused even when I have to prepare tea + coffee + soft drink at the same time for 15 people?
I think my mind set has to be changed. I still can manage my time. My chemistry teacher used to tell me that you always have 24 hours at hand. I think I can easily cook yummy break fast, spend 2 hours at gym, 12 hours at office, cook tasty and healthy dinner for my family.
But, even then I will think of my mom’s tasty food, sweated forehead, vigilant eyes, busy hands, sweet sound, and her strong attitude while supporting my father. These will be the snapshots in my memory which will fuel my wish to be a perfect woman of 21st century.

2 comments:

daffodils said...

very true.. really something worth thinking about..

Anonymous said...

a good one....some thing very honest...