Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Rhythm of Rain

There is only one thing in this world, which imitates your feelings. That is rain!!! Also, it brings back all your memories when rain had formed a significant background. I think it is the mere presence of rain which helps you in getting back your memory.

Rain is described by many poets and authors of our country. I feel rain is the best drama queen I have ever seen. It comes with thunder, lightning and many forms of wind and creates your mood or it rains as per your mood.

When I see the rain from my flat’s balcony I remember the times when I used to watch rain from the sit out with my father. The slopping road in front our house always used to take a lot of sand and small and colorful stones along with its flow.
The stones used to shine in the rays of sun which used to show its face among the darker rain clouds. Altogether it used to give me the feeling of some color water flowing down the road!

We used to have a lot of discussions while watching rain. I usually tend to get distracted towards the ripples forming in the water around the coconut trees or how water is dripping down from the first to the bottom leaf of my rose plant. Movement of water from one place to another, leaves wavering in the gentle breeze, comfort of the cool wind, warmth of my father’s hug, tea served while having my small doubts cleared forms my childhood rain memoirs.

And it was on one rainy night I realized that how much dear is my family to me. It was raining cats and dogs with thunders. Every time I hear the sound of the thunder I will see if my family is safe and sitting away from window, switchboards and seated only on any wooden platforms. I used to even keep a big bamboo stick for myself so that I can use it in case of an emergency!!! Thanks to all the alerts coming on TV. My parents were surprised on seeing my super care attitude. But, I was so tensed at that time and was in search of the safest place in the house to be ready for a thunderous monsoon.

In college, there were many days I had yearned for a heavy, thunderous rain. I wanted to seek my friend’s extra care and comfort for those days. Those were days when I wanted to enjoy the maximum freedom. But, my mind was never ready to come out of my traditional upbringing. I wanted to run out and get drenched in the rain. But, I always ended up in enjoying it under the darker shades of my old umbrella. I still remember that day when it was raining cats and dogs and everybody got stuck in the college. No umbrellas were able to save you in that evening. I stood in the verandah of my college, watching the rain, chatting with my friend. I felt my feelings for him were raining there. We decided to take our umbrellas and came out of the college. We took the longest route to come outside, walked very slowly and sang old film songs and had the happiest time together.

My next memory about rain is in Mumbai. I was very happy with my first job and new friends and my life in the commercial capital of my country. One day afternoon a holiday was declared for my office and the reason was rain!!! All of us came out and found thousands of people outside waiting to get into their buses in an otherwise quiet yet busy Powai. Few of my friends went outside and started dancing, I thought Oh! Haven’t they seen rain?? But, I was yet to see the power of Mumbai rains. I missed my first bus and managed to get into the last bus from the office.

We opened up our laptops and started listening to songs as our vehicle was moving in snail speed. Thousands of people were seen on the road, stranded without vehicle, helpless as their telephone networks were down. We were very confident as we were in the office bus. We could easily hear people on the streets discussing about the destructions caused by rain. Our vehicle almost stopped moving. There was no way out!!! We couldn’t go back or forward. It was then we 6 friends decided to walk to our guest house. We decided on the longest and safest route instead of the shortest and risky route. That risky route which we opted out had the highest death rate in the city. Electricity had gone, vehicles were seen immobile, people walking but it seemed that the rain will never end.

We decided to walk through the middle of the road. As we walked hand in hand a group of 4 girls and 2 boys who were new to the city, we found floating carcasses, people asking for Rs.10/- for giving a single helping hand. Still rain continued as it was trying to play with our limits. After walking for about half an hour we found a huge pit hole right in the center of the road. This made us to use the city buses as our new path. We got into buses through back door then got down from front door J

Finally after 9 hours of walk we all reached our guest house with lost shoes, laptop with damaged display and 2 friends less!!! Though we found our friends who lost their way on next day morning, rain left a scary feeling in my mind. This was there in my mind till I left that city.

Now, I have started enjoying the rain again. It gives me back the fresh memories of my childhood when I started discovering everything, of my teenage days when rain gave me chances to make me feel as a grown up, of my college days when I started yearning for love and rain together.

Rain is getting over now. It will come again to wash out my busy mind and bring back the memories afresh.
Let me go back to my balcony and wait for the rain. Let me play to its rhythm.